Click to purchase Swansea's Grand Book!

Contact

Swansea Grand Theatre History

Swansea Grand Theatre was built in 1897, on the site of the old Drill Hall in Singleton Street, Swansea. It opened on 26th July 1897 and its opening ceremony was certainly grand. Baroness Adelina Nicolini(Patti) travelled down by train from her home at Craig Y Nos to open the theatre. She arrived at Midland Railway Station, and was then taken by horse drawn carriage over the bridge crossing the Tawe. Her journey continued up through Wind Street passing the then Star Theatre, up the hill past the castle then travelling left down into Temple Street, passing the empty Theatre Royal. The streets were lined with hundreds of well wishers hungry for a look at the Opera Diva. The equivalent today would probably be a visit by the Queen. Next the carriage took her along into Oxford Street. then into Singleton Street through to the theatre. The theatres full history is chronicled in the book Swansea’s Grand available here

Click Logo to see what's on at Swansea Grand Theatre

Swansea Grand Theatre

Archive of Performances


1897 - 1910

1911 - 1925

1926 - 1960

1961 - 1987

1988 - 1999

2000 - 2010